Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas the night before Christmas ....

...and all through the house we sat round the living room. Ranger snoozing on the floor, mom snoozing on the couch, Martini and dad cuddling in the chair ... what a cute scene.

I had a perfect day today. Saw my doc, went to the gym, made lunch, went back out to get one last thing for Christmas, long bath with epson salts, then read myself into a nice nap till dinner ... doesn't get much better than that!

I've had a lot of time to reflect the past couple days. To reflect on how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing. To think about all the people that have touched my life in the past year. From diabetes, to paddling, to teaching and coaching, so many people have been there to support me, to encourage me and to assist me in my journey back to life.
And what a journey it has been!
Physically, I've got my diabetes pretty much under control. The folks at TRIDEC and ANIMAS have been phenomenal in their assistance with that. I also have reached a point where I'm finally comfortable in my body again. I finally feel strong and confident for the first time in almost 5 years.
Emotionally, I'm happier than I've ever been. My friendships have grown stronger, new ones have flourished and my relationship with my folks is stronger than ever. Makes it easy to go to sleep with a smile knowing that so many people care about you.
Intellectially, excited to start some new courses, loving all the research I'm doing on diabetes and kids, reading for pleasure again, it's great!
Socially, started some new sports, meeting some new people and challenging myself in new ways.

I remember an essay that I wrote back in high school for a scholarship application about the key to happiness in life being the balance between your physical, intellectial, social and emotional self. Wow how words come back around 10 years later!

Happy Holidays to everyone and thanks to all the folks in my life ... I wouldn't be where I am without each and every one of you!

No comments: