Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sometimes it’s just nice to know that you’re normal

Yes I know we are all special and unique individuals but it’s comforting to know that you’re not the only one dealing with the day to day challenges that Diabetes presents. Or that the symptoms you had prior to diagnosis were overlooked by yourself and others.
I’m sitting here reading some forums for people with Diabetes and it reaffirms my belief in the power of communication amongst us. This is the reason that Connected In Motion has taken off and why I’m soo excited for DESA next weekend!
There are so many folks that are newly diagnosed looking for answers. Looking at how others are handing Diabetes. Trying to figure out if the pump is right for them. Trying to figure out WHICH pump is right for them. Everyone wants to be normal, well as normal as we can be.
The internet is a great way for people to connect but I think that what Chloe is doing with Connected in Motion is huge! For people our age (19-30somethings) to feel comfortable asking questions. No one likes to admit that they are wrong or have been doing something wrong but how are we supposed to find out what wrong is, how are we supposed to find out that there are other options out there?! All doctors/endos/nurses/dieticians are not created equal, some of us have lucked out and have great ones while others have ones that are stuck in the mindset that Diabetes care is the same as it was 20 years ago.

Not sure why I’m writing about this today. Could be because I have to see my endo next week, could be because I was with some CIMers on the weekend or that DESA is next week. Could be because I have a pile of work to do and really don’t want to do it … yeah, that’s most likely it!

BTW, find more of my writings on my official website, www.leannestanley.com

No comments: